Friday, July 27, 2012

Spicy Arrabiata Sauce


I thought I'd experiment with a spicy tomato sauce. We love tomatoes in this house! I try to keep several jars of pureed or diced tomatoes on hand whenever possible. We put them on everything!

Arrabiata Sauce:

~3 lbs Roma tomatoes
3 TB tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
4-6 leaves fresh basil
1 TB minced garlic
1/2 onion (I used a Spanish onion), chopped
2 tsp crushed red pepper (I used more on the first try....it was SUPER spicy)
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste

Puree 1/2 the tomatoes with the basil. Chop the other half of the tomatoes. In a large pot, saute the garlic and onion in about 1/4 cup water. When soft, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, and both kinds of pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Boil on medium for about 45 minutes, until most of the water has boiled off. Turn off heat and add salt to taste. 
This didn't last very long....S was eating it by the spoonful...adding capers and olives of course (yuck).


Did I mention I'm near a Trader Joe's now? :) I'd been buying the $5 coffee from Whole Foods in New Orleans, but I found that TJ also has $5 coffee:


I like them both. They're not quite a pound, but better than most bags that are now only 10 or 12 oz!

Which coffee do you like better? 

Eat smart,
T.

1 comment:

  1. Few things are more comforting than slow-simmered, homemade tomato sauce. I usually keep mine pretty basic, but I like the idea of spicing it up a bit. Definitely have to capitalize on tomato season while they're abundant!

    ReplyDelete