Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Two recipes!


First, I have to mention this green smoothie. And now my mind is a blank. I can't remember where I got this recipe :(  I usually leave a link. Well, as you can see, it had chia seeds in it and spinach, bananas, maybe frozen? It's almost exactly the same as my post-workout smoothie. Someone posted it in the last couple of weeks. If it's yours, let me know! Though I'm sure there are several similar recipes out there. Sorry!! If I find it, I'll post it here. I made it in my Vitamix.....though after my last "chia" episode in there, I didn't think I'd want to use them again. They sure to stick to everything!


And how about hummus? I thought I'd try some tomato basil hummus mixed into some warm brown rice noodles. It was good!! I'll definitely do it again. Here's my tomato hummus recipe (just add a handful of basil leaves). Or here's a simpler recipe:

Easy Tomato Basil Hummus

1 regular sized can of garbanzo beans
handful of cherry tomatoes, or 1 small tomato, cut up
1 tbsp tahini
juice of 1 lemon (or 2 if you like it super lemony!)
handful of fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper to taste


Put it all in your food processor and process until smooth. If it's still too chunky, add a little more tomato. 

Had some spaghetti squash last night, with a nice red wine sauce:

Red Wine Pasta Sauce:

1/4 cup water 
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4 oz of small portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 roma tomato (or other smallish tomato), chopped
1 24-oz jar of pureed/strained tomatoes (I used Bionaturae)
1 TB tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 TB minced garlic
1 tsp Creole Seasoning (or cayenne pepper plus salt)
salt to taste


Saute the onions, garlic, & peppers in the water. Cook until the onions are soft. Then add the mushrooms and chopped tomatoes. Cook ~3 minutes. Add the wine and bring to boil (medium heat) and let it continue boiling for about 5-8 minutes, until there's almost no liquid left. Add the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste,  and seasonings. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. 


Enjoy!

Are you on Pinterest? You can find me there too!
Don't forget to follow me on Facebook and Twitter for updates in between posts.

It was 77 degrees here yesterday, but this morning it was 47! How's the weather where you are?

Eat smart,
T.

1 comment:

  1. This was the perfect thing to stumble across! I have two bottles of red wine leftover from dinner parties, each with just a splash at the bottom, that I couldn't figure out what to do with. Pasta sauce sounds like an excellent solution. :)

    ReplyDelete